TraderNation

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recent Purchases: A focus towards dividends

Hi Everyone and welcome back to the TraderSpectacle!!!

Its been awhile since I have posted (I know) but I have been doing lots of reading and thinking about finances and money in general.

Ill start from the top ... you should read the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.  Its one of the few books written by a tv-talking head which ACTUALLY makes sense.  Money is a tool and needs to be treated with the same respect of any other tool (hammer, car, gun, etc ...) in order to achieve a successful life.

So ... what does this entail ... well for one thing I am saving A LOT more of my paycheck.  I make anywhere from $1200 to $1600 a month.  I have cut back my expenses and now throw anywhere from $300-700 a month into my brokerage account (I like to invest my savings and this way its harder for me to spend it - 2 week waiting period for a check kills impulse buys!).

I also made 2 stock purchases today!  I purchased 100 shares of AT&T (T) and 100 shares of First Commonwealth Financial (FCF).  I purchased both stocks for the same reason ... DIVIDENDS!!!  Please make sure you reinvest your dividends!

T released a $0.43 dividend per share ... 100 shares turns into $43!  And the dividend is paid quarterly!
FCF is releasing a dividend on 7/27 and its expected to be between $0.08 and $0.10 which is nice since it closed today @ $5.83!  FCF also has a quarterly dividend.

What are you all invested in? why?


No comments:

Post a Comment